Hi Spark guys,

I'm Etienne Chauchot and I'm a committer on the Apache Beam project.

We have what we call runners. They are pieces of software that translate
pipelines written using Beam API into pipelines
that use native execution engine API. Currently, the Spark runner uses old RDD
/ DStream APIs.
I'm writing a new runner that will use structured streaming (but not continuous
processing, and also no schema for now).

I am just starting. I'm currently trying to map our sources to yours. I'm
targeting new DataSourceV2 API. It maps pretty
well with Beam sources but I have a problem with instanciation of the custom
source.
I searched for an answer in stack-overflow and user ML with no luck. I guess it
is a too specific question:

When visiting Beam DAG I have access to Beam objects such as Source and Reader
that I need to map to MicroBatchReader
and InputPartitionReader.
As far as I understand, a custom DataSourceV2 is instantiated automatically by
spark thanks to
sparkSession.readStream().format(providerClassName) or similar code. The
problem is that I can only pass options of
primitive types + String so I cannot pass the Beam Source to DataSourceV2.
=> Is there a way to do so ?

Also I get as an output a Dataset<Row>. The Row contains an instance of Beam
WindowedValue<T>, T is the type parameter
of the Source. I  do a map on the Dataset to transform it to a
Dataset<WindowedValue<T>>. I have a question related to
the Encoder:
=> how to properly create an Encoder for the generic type WindowedValue<T> to
use in the map?

Here is the code:
https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/spark-runner_structured-streaming

And more specially:

https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/spark-runner_structured-streaming/runners/spark-structured-streaming/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/spark/structuredstreaming/translation/batch/ReadSourceTranslatorBatch.java

https://github.com/apache/beam/blob/spark-runner_structured-streaming/runners/spark-structured-streaming/src/main/java/org/apache/beam/runners/spark/structuredstreaming/translation/io/DatasetSource.java

Thanks,

Etienne