Likely need a shim (which we should have anyway) because of namespace/import
changes.

I’m huge +1 on this.

________________________________
From: Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, February 4, 2019 12:27 PM
To: Xiao Li
Cc: Sean Owen; Felix Cheung; Ryan Blue; Marcelo Vanzin; Yuming Wang; dev
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Upgrade built-in Hive to 2.3.4

I should check the details and feasiablity by myself but to me it sounds fine
if it doesn't need extra big efforts.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2019, 4:15 am Xiao Li
<gatorsm...@gmail.com<mailto:gatorsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes. When our support/integration with Hive 2.x becomes stable, we can do it in
Hadoop 2.x profile too, if needed. The whole proposal is to minimize the risk
and ensure the release stability and quality.

Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls...@gmail.com<mailto:gurwls...@gmail.com>> 于2019年2月4日周一
下午12:01写道:
Xiao, to check if I understood correctly, do you mean the below?

1. Use our fork with Hadoop 2.x profile for now, and use Hive 2.x with Hadoop
3.x profile.
2. Make another newer version of thrift server by Hive 2.x(?) in Spark side.
3. Target the transition to Hive 2.x completely and slowly later in the future.

2019년 2월 5일 (화) 오전 1:16, Xiao Li
<gatorsm...@gmail.com<mailto:gatorsm...@gmail.com>>님이 작성:
To reduce the impact and risk of upgrading Hive execution JARs, we can just
upgrade the built-in Hive to 2.x when using the profile of Hadoop 3.x. The
support of Hadoop 3 will be still experimental in our next release. That means,
the impact and risk are very minimal for most users who are still using Hadoop
2.x profile.

The code changes in Spark thrift server are massive. It is risky and hard to
review. The original code of our Spark thrift server is from Hive-service
1.2.1. To reduce the risk of the upgrade, we can inline the new version. In the
future, we can completely get rid of the thrift server, and build our own
high-performant JDBC server.

Does this proposal sound good to you?

In the last two weeks, Yuming was trying this proposal. Now, he is on vacation.
In China, today is already the lunar New Year. I would not expect he will reply
this email in the next 7 days.

Cheers,

Xiao

Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com<mailto:sro...@gmail.com>> 于2019年2月4日周一 上午7:56写道:
I was unclear from this thread what the objection to these PRs is:

https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/23552
https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/23553

Would we like to specifically discuss whether to merge these or not? I
hear support for it, concerns about continuing to support Hive too,
but I wasn't clear whether those concerns specifically argue against
these PRs.