One concern here is introduction of second formatting convention.

This can not only cause confusion among users, but also result in some hard
to spot bugs, when wrong format, with different meaning, is used. This is
already a problem for Python and R users, with week year and months /
minutes mixups popping out from time to time.

--

Regards,
Maciej