On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 9:39 PM Ankur Gupta <ankur.gu...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your feedback. From your email, I could gather the following
> two important points:
>
>    1. Report failures to something (cluster manager) which can opt to
>    destroy the node and request a new one
>    2. Pluggable failure detection algorithms
>
> Regarding #1, current blacklisting implementation does report blacklist
> status to Yarn here
> <https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/resource-managers/yarn/src/main/scala/org/apache/spark/deploy/yarn/YarnAllocatorBlacklistTracker.scala#L126>,
> which can choose to take appropriate action based on failures across
> different applications (though it seems it doesn't currently). This doesn't
> work in static allocation though and for other cluster managers. Those
> issues are still open:
>
>    - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-24016
>    - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-19755
>    - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-23485
>
> Regarding #2, that is a good point but I think that is optional and may
> not be tied to enabling the blacklisting feature in the current form.

I'd expect the algorithms to be done in the controllers, as failures were
reported.

One other thing to consider is how to rect where you are down to ~0 nodes.
At that point you may as well give up on the blacklisting because you've
just implicitly shut down the cluster. I seem to remember something (HDFS?)
trying to deal with that