Thanks for working on this, John!

I'd like to see a more complete write-up of what you're proposing. Without
that, I don't think we can have a productive discussion about this.

For example, I think you're proposing to keep the view columns to ensure
that the same columns are produced by the view every time, based on
requirements from the SQL spec. Let's start by stating what those behavior
requirements are, so that everyone has the context to understand why your
proposal includes the view columns. Similarly, I'd like to know why you're
proposing `softwareVersion` in the view definition.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer