> I'm surfacing this to dev@ as the right answers may depend on a lot of
> historical decisions that I don't know about.

yeah, it's been time to clean up the build configs for quite a while...

also, the vast majority of these build configs predate even my joining
the amplab.  josh rosen and patrick wendell would have a LOT more
context about some of the decisions made.

> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-28900 for a summary of
> how the different build configs are set up, and why we might need to
> standardize them to fully test with JDK 11 at least, and why we could
> probably collapse some too.
>
> Comments welcome on the JIRA, as I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two.

i will definitely be adding my thoughts, but i most likely won't be
able to get to this until after the labor day holiday (i'm busy
writing performance reviews).

shane
--
Shane Knapp
UC Berkeley EECS Research / RISELab Staff Technical Lead