> 1. It is a waste of IO. The whole column (in Map format) should be read
and Spark extract the required keys from the map, even though the query
requires only one or a few keys in the map

This sounds like a similar use case to nested column pruning. We should
push down the map key extracting to the data source.

> 2. Vectorized read can not be exploit. Currently, vectorized read can be
enabled only when all required columns are in atomic type. When a query
read subfield in a complex type column, vectorized read can not be exploit.

I think this is just a current limitation. Technically we can read
complex types with the vectorized reader.

> 3, Filter pushdown can not be utilized. Only when all required fields are
in atomic type can filter pushdown be enabled

This is not true anymore with the new nested column pruning feature. This
only works for parquet right now but we plan to support it in general data
sources.

> 4. CPU is wasted because of duplicated computation.  When JSON is
selected to store all keys, JSON happens each time we query a subfield in
it. However, JSON parse is a CPU intensive operation, especially when the
JSON string is very long.

Similar to 1, this problem goes away if we can push down map key
extracting/array element extracting to the data source.

I agree with the problems you pointed out here, but I don't think
materialized columns is the right solution. I think we should improve the
data source API to allow the data source to fix these problems themselves.

Thanks,
Wenchen