From my point of view, a Spark 2.5 release with a backport of DSv2 _which does
not remove the old 2.4 DSv2 classes_  would be ideal, since it would work as a
stepping stone for both the current users of DSv1 and the 2.4 DSv2 classes.

I agree with Xiao that it is likely that the 3.0 DSv2 classes will need to
incorporate feedback from the community once people start using them. I hope we
aren’t planning on marking them as Stable as soon as Spark 3.0 is released!
They don’t seen to have any InterfaceStability marker at the moment in master.

Cheers,
Ximo

De: Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>
Enviado el: miércoles, 25 de septiembre de 2019 0:54
Para: Jungtaek Lim <kabh...@gmail.com>
CC: Dongjoon Hyun <dongjoon.h...@gmail.com>; Holden Karau
<hol...@pigscanfly.ca>; Hyukjin Kwon <gurwls...@gmail.com>; Marco Gaido
<marcogaid...@gmail.com>; Matei Zaharia <matei.zaha...@gmail.com>; Reynold Xin
<r...@databricks.com>; Spark Dev List <dev@spark.apache.org>
Asunto: Re: [DISCUSS] Spark 2.5 release

> That's not a new requirement, that's an "implicit" requirement via semantic
> versioning.

The expectation is that the DSv2 API will change in minor versions in the 2.x
line. The API is marked with the Experimental API annotation to signal that it
can change, and it has been changing.

A requirement to not change this API for a 2.5 release is a new requirement.
I'm fine with that if that's what everyone wants. Like I said, if we want to
add a requirement to not change this API then we shouldn't release the 2.5 that
I'm proposing.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:51 PM Jungtaek Lim
<kabh...@gmail.com<mailto:kabh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Apache Spark 2.4.x and 2.5.x DSv2 should be compatible.

> This has not been a requirement for DSv2 development so far. If this is a new
> requirement, then we should not do a 2.5 release.

My 2 cents, target version of new DSv2 has been only 3.0 so we don't ever have
a chance to think about such requirement - that's why there's no restriction on
breaking compatibility on codebase. That's not a new requirement, that's an
"implicit" requirement via semantic versioning. I agree that some of APIs have
been changed between Spark 2.x versions, but I guess the changes in "new" DSv2
would be bigger than summation of changes on "old" DSv2 which has been
introduced across multiple minor versions.

Suppose we're developers of Spark ecosystem maintaining custom data source
(forget about developing Spark): I would get some official announcement on next
minor version, and I want to try it out quickly to see my stuff still supports
new version. When I change the dependency version everything will break. My
hopeful expectation would be no issue while upgrading but turns out it's not,
and even it requires new learning (not only fixing compilation failures). It
would just make me giving up support Spark 2.5 or at least I won't follow up
such change quickly. IMHO 3.0-techpreview has advantage here (assuming we
provide maven artifacts as well as official announcement), as it can give us
expectation that there're bunch of changes given it's a new major version. It
also provides bunch of time to try adopting it before the version is officially
released.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 4:56 AM Ryan Blue
<rb...@netflix.com<mailto:rb...@netflix.com>> wrote:
From those questions, I can see that there is significant confusion about what
I'm proposing, so let me try to clear it up.

> 1. Is DSv2 stable in `master`?

DSv2 has reached a stable API that is capable of supporting all of the features
we intend to deliver for Spark 3.0. The proposal is to backport the same API
and features for Spark 2.5.

I am not saying that this API won't change after 3.0. Notably, Reynold wants to
change the use of InternalRow. But, these changes are after 3.0 and don't
affect the compatibility I'm proposing, between the 2.5 and 3.0 releases. I
also doubt that breaking changes would happen by 3.1.

> 2. If then, what subset of DSv2 patches does Ryan is suggesting backporting?

I am proposing backporting what we intend to deliver for 3.0: the API currently
in master, SQL support, and multi-catalog support.

> 3. How much those backporting DSv2 patches looks differently in `branch-2.4`?

DSv2 is mostly an addition located in the `connector` package. It also changes
some parts of the SQL parser and adds parsed plans, as well as new rules to
convert from parsed plans. This is not an invasive change because we kept most
of DSv2 separate. DSv2 should be nearly identical between the two branches.

> 4. What does he mean by `without breaking changes? Is it technically feasible?

DSv2 is marked unstable in the 2.x line and changes between releases. The API
changed between 2.3 and 2.4, so this would be no different. But, we would keep
the API the same between 2.5 and 3.0 to assist migration.

This is technically feasible because what we are planning to deliver for 3.0 is
nearly ready, and the API has not needed to change recently.

> Apache Spark 2.4.x and 2.5.x DSv2 should be compatible.

This has not been a requirement for DSv2 development so far. If this is a new
requirement, then we should not do a 2.5 release.

> 5. How long does it take? Is it possible before 3.0.0-preview? Who will work
> on that backporting?

As I said, I'm already going to do this work, so I'm offering to release it to
the community. I don't know how long it will take, but this work and
3.0-preview are not mutually exclusive.

> 6. Is this meaningful if 2.5 and 3.1 become different again too soon (in 2020
> Summer)?

It is useful to me, so I assume it is useful to others.

I also think it is unlikely that 3.1 will need to make API changes to DSv2.
There may be some bugs found, but I don't think we will break API compatibility
so quickly. Most of the changes to the API will require only additions.

> If you have a working branch, please share with us.

I don't have a branch to share.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 6:47 PM Dongjoon Hyun
<dongjoon.h...@gmail.com<mailto:dongjoon.h...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hi, Ryan.

This thread has many replied as you see. That is the evidence that the
community is interested in your suggestion a lot.

> I'm offering to help build a stable release without breaking changes. But if
> there is no community interest in it, I'm happy to drop this.

In this thread, the root cause of the disagreement is due to the lack of
supporting evidence for your claims.

1. Is DSv2 stable in `master`?
2. If then, what subset of DSv2 patches does Ryan is suggesting backporting?
3. How much those backporting DSv2 patches looks differently in `branch-2.4`?
4. What does he mean by `without breaking changes? Is it technically feasible?
    Apache Spark 2.4.x and 2.5.x DSv2 should be compatible. (Not between 2.5.x
DSv2 and 3.0.0 DSv2)
5. How long does it take? Is it possible before 3.0.0-preview? Who will work on
that backporting?
6. Is this meaningful if 2.5 and 3.1 become different again too soon (in 2020
Summer)?

We are SW engineers.
If you have a working branch, please share with us.
It will help us understand your suggestion and this discussion.
We can help you verify that branch achieves your goal.
The branch is tested already, isn't it?

Bests,
Dongjoon.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 10:44 AM Holden Karau