Yep, it's worse than that. Code compiled for 2.x is _not allowed_ to
work with 2.(x+1). I say this with all love for Scala and total
respect for how big improvements in what Scala does necessarily mean
bytecode-level incompatibility. But it'd be cooler to call these major
releases! even in Java, you stand a chance of Java 6-era code still
running on Java 14.