Can I suggest we maybe decouple this conversation a bit? First, if there is
an agreement in making a transitional release in principle and then folks
who feel strongly about specific backports can have their respective
discussions.It's not like we normally know or have agreement on everything
going into a release at the time we cut the branch.

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:28 PM Reynold Xin <r...@databricks.com> wrote:

> I understand the argument to add JDK 11 support just to extend the EOL,
> but the other things seem kind of arbitrary and are not supported by your
> arguments, especially DSv2 which is a massive change. DSv2 IIUC is not api
> stable yet and will continue to evolve in the 3.x line.
>
> Spark is designed in a way that’s decoupled from storage, and as a result
> one can run multiple versions of Spark in parallel during migration.

At the job level sure, but upgrading large jobs, possibly written in Scala
2.11, whole-hog as it currently stands is not a small matter.