At the recommendation of Hyukjin, I'm converting the graceful
decommissioning work to an SPIP. The SPIP document is at
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EOei24ZpVvR7_w0BwBjOnrWRy4k-qTdIlx60FsHZSHA/edit?usp=sharing
and the associated JIRA is at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-20624. This work dates back to
2017 when an earlier design was brought up. Now in 2019 I've updated the
design
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xVO1b6KAwdUhjEJBolVPl9C6sLj7oOveErwDSYdT-pE/edit?usp=sharing
.

>From the SPIP requirements, I am willing to act as the shepherd & committer
on this proposal, and have already been reviewing and creating PRs here.
There are several folks who have contributed to design (you can see the
discussion in the 2019 & 2017 documents) and I'm very thankful for those
contributions, as well as the other code reviewers & PR authors who have
been participating from a variety of vendors/users.

Given the existence of multiple vendors' proprietary implementations
(Databricks & AWS) of this feature, I think the user need is very clear.

This begins the discussion phase of the SPIP process where the goal is to
determine the need for the change and the general design outline. Once the
discussion settles, we move on the voting stage. While there are WIP PRS
attached to the design document to illustrate the implementation, approval
of the SPIP does not necessarily mean those are the specific
implementations that we will use.

For more information about SPIPs in general see
https://spark.apache.org/improvement-proposals.html

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau