Hi all,

I am currently building Spark from source and also have to build leveldbjni
from source because the binary release (which is platform dependent) in
mvnrepository does not support my target platform (s390x). People have run
into similar problems when building for other platforms too (notably Spark
builds on arm64 pull in an alternative binary release).

The last binary release of leveldbjni was in 2013 and it does not appear to
be actively maintained. I suspect the lack of new binary releases will cause
more issues as time goes on. I am therefore curious whether anyone had any
thoughts over substituting it with an alternative library. In particular I
am interested in whether there are any constraints an alternative would need
to adhere to:

1. Would an alternative need to be leveldb compatible?
2. How performance sensitive are the uses of leveldbjni in Spark? Could a
pure Java library be used instead?

Specifically I am thinking possible alternatives that are actively
maintained might be something like https://github.com/dain/leveldb or even
RocksDB. Or perhaps there is another key-value store used in the Apache
ecosystem that could be adopted.

Thanks,
Michael