Just checking - there is no way to tell bazel to look somewhere else for
whatever 'external' means to it?
It's a kinda big ugly change but it's not a functional change. If anything
it might break some downstream builds that rely on the current structure
too. But such is life for developers? I don't have a strong reason we can't.