Hi Dongjoon, I think this conversation is not advancing anymore. I
personally consider the matter closed unless you can find other support or
respond with more specifics. While this perhaps should be on private@, I
think it's not wrong as an instructive discussion on dev@.

I don't believe you've made a clear argument about the problem, or how it
relates specifically to policy. Nevertheless I will show you my logic.

You are asserting that a vendor cannot call a product Apache Spark 3.4.0 if
it omits a patch updating a Scala maintenance version. This difference has
no known impact on usage, as far as I can tell.

Let's see what policy requires:

1/ All source code changes must meet at least one of the acceptable changes
criteria set out below:
- The change has accepted by the relevant Apache project community for
inclusion in a future release. Note that the process used to accept changes
and how that acceptance is documented varies between projects.
- A change is a fix for an undisclosed security issue; and the fix is not
publicly disclosed as as security fix; and the Apache project has been
notified of the both issue and the proposed fix; and the PMC has rejected
neither the vulnerability report nor the proposed fix.
- A change is a fix for a bug; and the Apache project has been notified of
both the bug and the proposed fix; and the PMC has rejected neither the bug
report nor the proposed fix.
- Minor changes (e.g. alterations to the start-up and shutdown scripts,
configuration files, file layout etc.) to integrate with the target
platform providing the Apache project has not objected to those changes.

The change you cite meets the 4th point, minor change, made for integration
reasons. There is no known technical objection; this was after all at one
point the state of Apache Spark.

2/ A version number must be used that both clearly differentiates it from
an Apache Software Foundation release and clearly identifies the Apache
Software Foundation version on which the software is based.

Keep in mind the product here is not "Apache Spark", but the "Databricks
Runtime 13.1 (including Apache Spark 3.4.0)". That is, there is far more
than a version number differentiating this product from Apache Spark. There
is no standalone distribution of Apache Spark anywhere here. I believe that
easily matches the intent.

3/ The documentation must clearly identify the Apache Software Foundation
version on which the software is based.

Clearly, yes.

4/ The end user expects that the distribution channel will back-port fixes.
It is not necessary to back-port all fixes. Selection of fixes to back-port
must be consistent with the update policy of that distribution channel.

I think this is safe to say too. Indeed this explicitly contemplates not
back-porting a change.

Backing up, you can see from this document that the spirit of it is: don't
include changes in your own Apache Foo x.y that aren't wanted by the
project, and still call it Apache Foo x.y. I don't believe your case
matches this spirit either.

I do think it's not crazy to suggest, hey vendor, would you call this
"Apache Spark + patches" or ".vendor123". But that's at best a suggestion,
and I think it does nothing in particular for users. You've made the
suggestion, and I do not see some police action from the PMC must follow.

I think you're simply objecting to a vendor choice, but that is not
on-topic here unless you can specifically rebut the reasoning above and
show it's connected.