I'm going to join in from an ASF community perspective.

Nobody should be making fundamental changes to an ASF code base with a PR
up and then merged two hours later because of the needs of a single vendor
of a downstream product. This doesn't even give people in different time
zones the chance to review it. It goes completely against the concept of
"community" and replaces it with private problems, not shared with anyone,
and large pieces of development work to address them without any
opportunity for others to improve. Pieces of work which presumably must
have been ongoing for some days.

I know doing stuff in public is time-consuming as you have to spend a lot
of time chasing reviews, but collaboration is essential as it ensures that
changes meet the needs of a broader community than one single vendor.
Avoiding that is exclusively and unhealthy for a project.

If the databricks products have some problem resolving user:key secrets in
paths in the virtual file system, that will be good to know, especially the
what and the why -as others may encounter it too. At the very least: others
should know what to do so as to avoid getting into the same situation.

If you want more nimble development, well, closed source gives you that.
Switching to commit-then-review on specific ASF repos is also allowed,
despite the inherent risks. We use it for some of her hadoop release
packaging/testing for a rapid iteration of release process automation and
validation code.

Anyway, the patch has been reverted and discussions are now ongoing, as
they should have been from the outset.

Steve