Hi Uroš,

Could you review https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/58634
( [SPARK-58980][SQL] Support GROUPS window frames ) when you have a chance?

I’d be happy to address any feedback or make any changes you suggest.

On Sun, 23 Aug 2026 at 18:40, Uroš Bojanić <[email protected]> wrote:

> P.S. Please check existing open issues on the Spark Jira, e.g. I found
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-28648, which seems to
> describe the same feature.
>
> However, it's been dormant for quite a while now, and the original comment
> objection rationale there is outdated, since other systems now support
> GROUPS too.
>
> Also, this item is a sub-task of SPARK-27764 "Feature Parity between
> PostgreSQL and Spark", so you're probably fine creating a new Jira ID for
> your proposal.
>
> On 2026/08/10 20:36:22 Mark Andreev wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I’d like to propose adding SQL-standard `GROUPS` window frames to Spark
> SQL.
> >
> > Spark currently supports `ROWS` and `RANGE`, but not `GROUPS`, which
> > defines frame boundaries in terms of peer groups. This is useful where
> > group sizes and ordering-key gaps vary, and cannot in general be
> expressed
> > correctly with a fixed `ROWS` or `RANGE` frame.
> >
> > I’ve prepared a design proposal covering semantics, compatibility,
> > implementation feasibility, testing, and behaviour across other SQL
> engines:
> >
> >
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BOVWBHz6vQi39uQ_8SJfMWg55oJrUqNMQAgtHXmTZhA/edit?usp=sharing
> >
> > I intend to implement this and open a draft PR.
> >
> > Before starting, I’d particularly appreciate feedback on:
> >
> > * whether this should go through SPIP or a normal JIRA + PR;
> > * whether `GROUPS` support for Python/Pandas window UDAFs should be
> > included initially or deferred.
> >
> > Any feedback on the proposed semantics or implementation direction would
> be
> > very welcome.
> >
> > --
> > Best regards,
> > Mark Andreev
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe e-mail: [email protected]
>
>

-- 
Best regards,
Mark Andreev

Reply via email to