Yeah, I think this should really be treated just as advisory. I just wanted
to give you guys headup before any surprise.
I will share more details later after testing this out for a week,

On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 at 08:15, Jungtaek Lim <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Maybe good to make clear that this is an auxiliary process and committer+
> must review on their own? The scenario I can think of is the author sees
> the AI review and diligently addresses them, and the committer chimes in
> later and says it's incorrect. The review content from automatic AI review
> is no owner in terms of responsibility.
>
> I understand many of us are leveraging AI assisted review (and I'm almost
> pushed to this way due to amount of PRs to review) but I expect the final
> content (whether it is a code, review, written doc, whatever) would be
> owned by the one who posts it, and have a responsibility with it - it's not
> that LLM would have responsibility with it. This is great for double
> checking but I hope this isn't going to replace the primary review.
>
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2026 at 6:59 AM Hyukjin Kwon <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been running a trial of automated AI code review on new apache/spark
>> PRs, and I'd like to share how it works and get your feedback.
>>
>> For now the reviews are posted from my own GitHub account (@HyukjinKwon)
>> while I check that it behaves well. Once it's proven, I plan to move it to
>> the https://github.com/spark-test account, so the reviews are clearly
>> separate from my personal ones. I plan to run this for the next week.
>>
>> *What it does*
>>
>> Each review is a full, multi-pass review of the PR diff, run by Claude
>> (via Claude Code). Findings are checked against the code before they're
>> posted. They're posted as a normal GitHub review: a short summary plus
>> inline comments, each labeled with a severity, e.g. "Non-blocking (P2)"
>> or "Nit (P3)". Example:
>> https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/59184#pullrequestreview-5379759787
>>
>> *No LGTM, no approvals*
>>
>> - It never approves a PR and never posts "LGTM". Every review is a plain
>>   "Comment" review, so it doesn't count as an approval or a change
>>   request, and it has no effect on merging.
>> - If a review finds nothing new, it posts nothing at all: no "no
>>   findings" or "all comments addressed" message.
>> - It doesn't push commits or edit anyone's PR.
>> - Human review and committer judgement are unchanged. Please treat its
>>   comments like any other reviewer's: feel free to push back or ignore.
>>
>> *When a review is triggered*
>>
>> - A new PR is reviewed shortly after it's opened. Draft PRs are reviewed
>>   once they're marked ready for review.
>> - After a review posts findings, the bot waits. It reviews again only
>>   when the author pushes new commits.
>> - It also waits while a PR has open review comments from anyone that are
>>   newer than the latest commit, so it doesn't pile on while the author is
>>   still responding to reviewers.
>> - Replying in a thread without pushing doesn't trigger a re-review.
>>
>> *When it stops*
>>
>> - When a review finds nothing new. The PR gets a fresh review if the
>>   author pushes again later.
>> - When the PR is merged or closed.
>>
>> *Early numbers*
>>
>> Over the first ~12 hours (Oct 1), it covered 10 PRs, including 5
>> re-reviews after the author pushed. It posted 7 reviews with 14 findings
>> in total, mostly P3 nits. Four PRs came back clean and got no comment.
>> Several authors pushed fixes, and the follow-up reviews found nothing
>> new.
>>
>> *Feedback*
>>
>> Please let me know if the comments are useful, noisy, or wrong, either
>> here or on the PR. If you'd rather it not review your PRs, tell me and
>> I'll exclude them. I'm also happy to adjust when it triggers based on
>> what the community prefers.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Hyukjin
>>
>

Reply via email to