Hi All, Reto,

Based your comment in this other discussion I reason that your are
working on updating Stanbol to the new Clerezza RDF api.

This is to inform you that (without further discussion) I am -1 for
such an update.

The main reasoning behind this was the decision of Clerezza for NOT
using Apache Commons RDF (incubating)  [1] as the RDF API for
Clerezza. Because of that we are now in a situation where we have +1
competing Java RDF APIs (see http://xkcd.com/927/).

Here is a Summary of the current situation as I see it:

* Apache Commons RDF [1] is clearly not ready for production.
    * It only recently released it first version of the API.
    * We need to see how the adaption of this API is going. Especially
by the big two (Apache Jena [2] and Sesame [3]). See if Clerezza also
adapts Apache RDF commons somehow.
    * We need to evaluate its API against the needs of the Stanbol
Enhancer (in-memory model, parsing, serializing)
    * We need to evaluate how to use this API in OSGI, JAX-RS, ...

* Apache Clerezza introduces a new Clerezza Commons RDF API
    * The new Clerezza release (currently in voting) adapts this API
    * This API is similar to the Apache Commons RDF API but AFAIK incompatible
    * The new API is incompatible with the old. Therefore code changes
are required in Stanbol after the update (esp. all EnhancementEngines
need to be adapted)

IMHO it is simple not possible to make any good decision between those
right now. If Apache Commons RDF gets adapted by both Sesame and Jena
it will probably be the better choice (esp. in the long turn). If not
updating to the most current Clerezza version could make more sense.

What I want to avoid are two RDF API changes within a short period of
time. Such a change does not only require to adapt a lot of Apache
Stanbol implementations. As classes of the RDF API are also used in
central Stanbol Interfaces (most important the EnhancementEngine and
ContentItem interface) this also affects users with custom Stanbol
components.

In conclusion:

Sticking with the current Clerezza versions for some additional time
(maybe a year) does not hurt. Doing so will allow for a much better
informed decision for the future RDF API for Apache Stanbol.

best
Rupert

p.s. In a questionary for the best RDF API choice for Apache Stanbol I
would opt for the Sesame Model API [4]. As this in-memory model API is
a really great fit for the use case of the Stanbol Enhancer.

[1] http://commonsrdf.incubator.apache.org/
[2] https://jena.apache.org/
[3] http://rdf4j.org/
[4] http://rdf4j.org/sesame/2.8/apidocs/org/openrdf/model/package-summary.html