Eric Lemings wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Sebor [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Martin Sebor
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 4:11 PM
To: dev@stdcxx.apache.org
Subject: on branches and merging (was: Re: failing regression tests)

It occurs to me that even if most work were done on the release
branch(es) the changes would still need to merged only in the
opposite direction: from each branch to trunk and/or to other
branches. I'm afraid I don't see how the merging problem can
be avoided. Do you?

Sure.  Don't branch until all issues scheduled for the release have
been resolved and you're ready to start testing release candidates.
That way, all main development occurs in only one place only: on
the trunk.

That doesn't work when there are several parallel development
efforts going on. In our case, they are: 4.2.x, 4.3, and 5.0.
As I just mentioned in my response to Travis we have changes
(or patches) for all three. We just haven't been committing
(or have been reverting) patches for the latter two because
they're not appropriate for 4.2.x. That's not workable.

There's no avoiding having development happen on multiple
branches at the same time. We need to figure out how to
make the process of merging changes between these branches
as easy as possible with the least chance of errors.

Martin