Martin Sebor wrote:

>One comment on the design of the tests: template instantiation
>is very expensive both in terms of compiler cycles and in terms
>of disk space taken up by the generated object code. We need to
>avoid instantiating more than the bare minimum of code. So for
>example, in tests/utilities/20.meta.help.cpp,
>test_integral_constant() would ideally be an ordinary function
>with the expected and tested values being passed in by the macro.
>Also, if there's a way to avoid using function templates (such
>as test_is_same_type) and use class templates instead it should
>save us some cycles (especially with optimization) and disk
>space.

This is an excellent point, and a relatively easy fix to apply in most
cases.

A quick question on this subject. In many cases it is convenient to use
traits in testing other traits. As an example I would like to use
std::is_same<T,U>::value when testing traits like std::is_const. If I
test is_same using hard coded values, is it acceptable to use is_same
when testing other traits like add_const? If I don't use std::is_same,
then I would need to write something similar to is_same [either a class
or function template] to give me the answer. What does everyone think?

>As an aside, tests don't need to use the _STD macro. The test
>config header testdefs.h does the necessary magic to let us use
>the name std directly even when _RWSTD_NO_NAMESPACE is #defined.

Hah, necessary magic equals #define. Yeah, I noticed this. I'll update
my tests.