Github user miguno commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/568#issuecomment-108338846

    > @eshioji wrote:
    > Also I have a question, maybe @miguno could help; I've removed the
graceful shutdown which tries to flush all pending message before the Client is
closed, mostly to make it easier for me to fix the deadlock. However now I'm
worried I might have removed something significant. Do you think I should bring
it back?

    IIRC the graceful shutdown was primarily (but not exclusively) for
non-acking topologies to minimize any potential data loss.  I think it would be
preferable if we'd continue to allow for graceful shutdowns, if possible.