Github user hmcl commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/977#issuecomment-169441633

    @revans2 your points are valid, as there may be scenarios where we may end
up committing very small batches, which may cause some performance degradation,
but in my opinion that would only be a concern if they are likely to happen.
Nevertheless, to address your points I have created
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-1442

    Concerning your comment " It looks like the commitStgy.commit() is not
needed at all. " I believe we still need it to address the cases where the
batch is complete, no tick tuples came in, and we want to commit the batch.