Github user arunmahadevan commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/994#issuecomment-173077993

    @priyank5485 @revans2 @Parth-Brahmbhatt the changes introduced by
STORM-1220 has not yet gone out in any releases. It will go out in 1.0 but with
the fix in this PR (which is also part of 1.0) the changes are backward
compatible. i.e. the KafkaSpout would emit byte[] and not ByteBuffer as values
in the tuples. So the old bolts (that expects a byte[]) would continue to work
with the new KafkaSpout.

    I assume @priyank5485 got the issue when the jar was built from master
branch before this PR got merged in and got bundled with the client.

    Correct me if I am missing something.