Github user revans2 commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/986#issuecomment-173227353

    @hsun-cnnxty
    I am not sure that we have had much in the way of collaboration in the
past, so if others have suggestions on this that would be great.

    I personally think that first we need to define the goals of each person
involved here so we can be sure to know what features are needed to declare
this done.  We can divide different features up into smaller pieces/JIRA that
can be done independently if that is simpler.

    STORM-822 talks about using the kafka 0.8.3 API, not the 0.9.0 API, and
that is it (I assume that they are the same and a version number was changed
before release).  Hence the need to better define what STORM-822 is intended to
cover.

    So from my perspective the minimum goals that I have for a 0.9.0 API Spout
is
       * It needs to support at least once processing correctly
       * It needs to support at most once processing correctly (or at least as
well as the previous spout did)
       * it needs to support the security APIs

    Before we can remove the old spout though it also needs to support the same
functionality.  Not necessarily a drop in replacement (Although that would be
nice too).

    @hmcl @tgravescs @erikdw @Deepnekroz @harshach what are the requirements
that you have?  Once we know the requirements we can add them to STORM-822,
setup a plan a file subtasks for the different parts of the plan, ideally with
dependencies.

    I personally don't want to run the show in coordinating this.  I am up to
my eyeballs in 1.x/JStorm, so if someone else here wants to volunteer to help
coordinate things that would be great.