Robert,
Running a topology in local mode launches in-process zookeeper which by
default binds to 2000.
https://github.com/apache/storm/blob/master/storm-core/src/jvm/org/apache/storm/zookeeper/Zookeeper.java#L284

@Rodrigo
It is possible that you are killing the local cluster just after you spawn
it. It is difficult to say without having code at hand.

--
Regards,
Abhishek Agarwal