Github user moesol commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/storm/pull/1287#issuecomment-204239216

    KafkaConfig has socketTimeoutMs which I assume maps to socket.timeout.ms.
It's passed along to the SimpleConsumer's constructor.

    I'm not sure yet where rebalance.max.retries etc. would need to get
applied. They are not a part of the FetchRequest. My vote is to keep this pull
request focused on fixing the issue at hand and have a different pull request
to implement the comprehensive list of configurations.

    Also, I thought I saw some work to create a KafkaSpout that uses the Kafka
0.9 client. Perhaps the comprehensive list of configurations should be coupled
with that work.