1* - Squashing commits is more of a guideline. Committers, specifically,
should ensure that the patches are squashed or volunteer to do that as
merging otherwise :) These guidelines along with 'how to git squash' can be
added to http://storm.apache.org/contribute/Contributing-to-Storm.html.

The above page says that for minor changes, there is no need to create a
JIRA. The definition of what is minor, is of course vague. In my
experience, there were very few changes which were made without a
corresponding JIRA so JIRA creation might as well be made mandatory. If
each commit is tagged with a JIRA id, it becomes easier to track that
change. I have also seen cases where there were multiple commits under
single JIRA but none of them were tagged with JIRA id.

3* - I also get one extra email from notificati...@github.com if I am
participating in a pull request from notificati...@github.com. It will be
great to avoid that as well. By the way, removing notifications from Github
means that PRs with no JIRA id might go unnoticed for long time.

--
Regards,
Abhishek Agarwal