Hi, I'm the original creator and primary developer of SQE. Sorry for
the radio silence on my part, I was out on vacation the past two
weeks.

I'm glad to see the Storm SQL project chugging along. I started SQE
because I wanted better tools on top of Storm, particularly the
ability to query streams and build topologies using SQL. Our
philosophy is to quickly iterate on our production systems and provide
immediate value. We've been able to do this with SQE, which powers our
streaming systems. Work on SQE and adding functions is driven by our
current use cases. The big near term item on our road map is to add
SQL parsing. Calcite is very promising there and brings lots of
additional features, as I'm sure you know. Additionally, we're going
to improve our function, stream, and state support.

The difficulty I can see for us with Storm SQL is the amount of work
necessary to get from where we are now with SQE to integrating any
functionality and making sure Storm SQL can provide the functionality
we have now, assuming that is the path we would all go. We're super
excited to see support for Storm grow and mature, and we'd like to be
a part of that. But we also have to maintain our ability to iterate
quickly and provide immediate value.

--
Morrigan Jones
Principal Engineer