Github user knusbaum commented on the issue:

    I'm going to close this PR. It hasn't been touched in a few months, it is
still missing a Jira, and we have decided to halt any non-bug work on 10.*
branches.

    In addition, it looks to me like `batch.size` is available for Kafka at
least as far back as 0.8.0, so utilizing that sounds like the correct way to
address this issue.

    However, I only spent a brief time looking at the docs, so If you think
this is still a valuable change for the 1.x and master branches, please file a
Jira and open PRs to those branches.