Github user HeartSaVioR commented on the issue:

    Let's back to actual usage of Timer.

    ```
            if (!consumerAutoCommitMode) {     // If it is auto commit, no need
to commit offsets manually
                commitTimer = new Timer(500,
kafkaSpoutConfig.getOffsetsCommitPeriodMs(), TimeUnit.MILLISECONDS);
            }
            refreshSubscriptionTimer = new Timer(500,
kafkaSpoutConfig.getPartitionRefreshPeriodMs(), TimeUnit.MILLISECONDS);
    ```

    Here we are taking period as milliseconds consistently, and dropping
support nanoseconds on Timer means that up to 1 ms can be added to the period.
Unless we're expecting users to set these config values to small value like 1
or so, I think it doesn't matter. Indeed we're having 500 ms as default value,
which doesn't matter it will be 501 ms.