Github user qiozas commented on the issue:

    @srdo thank you very much for your offer.

    We have performed many tests with 1.0.2/3 release in order to be sure for
any problems in migration from 0.9.6 to new version. Our major problem is the
current one.

    Additionally, Storm 1.1.0 will be the first release with Kafka 0.10 API, so
I am not very confident to use it in a production system. We prefer to use
Kafka 0.10 API, but it is too new in Storm world (actually Storm hold us back
to Kafka 0.9 API, but we can live for some time).
    If it is not big trouble, it will be very helpful if you merge this fix to
1.0.x branch (afterwards we can use it in our code too).