Github user priyank5485 commented on the issue:

    @srdo @harshach Some comments related to storm-kafka-monitor

    [~Srdo] Regarding first point, because the lag request is a http pull
request from UI, as long as
kafkaSpoutConfig.getSubscription().getTopicsString(); returns the correct value
it will work since the open method would have been called eventually. The only
change we would need is that when the rebalance listener is invoked we would
need to keep track of the topics currently subscribed. For e.g.
PatternSubscription can have an instance variable called Set<String> topics
that would be correctly updated anytime onPartitionsRevoked or
onPartitionsAssigned is called. We can use that instance variable to return the
value when getTopicsString is called on that object. Does that work?

    Regarding point 2, we could move the kafka client version to
storm-kafka-monitor module. Can you elaborate a bit more on your concern? Is it
that if kafka cluster is upgraded, storm-kafka-monitor wont work? In that case
storm-kafka-client module will also have to be updated and topology jar
rebuilt. Correct? I think in general, we have a certain compatibility
restriction in that a given storm release works or has been tested with a
certain version of kafka clients. Correct me if i am wrong.

    Regarding 3, the main reason for creating a separate module and calling
bash script from storm UI is so that storm-core does not have a direct kafka
dependency since that made sense. For windows, cygwin can be a workaround.
Plus, i dont know how many windows users we have. We can start a thread to see
if there is really a user base for which we need to support a use case.

    I dont know the details about how metrics would work. We could have
opinions from other people. If that is indeed the right way to go about it then
I am all for changing it.