Hi devs,

This is initial post to separate out discussion topic from vote thread, and
continue discussing.

Background of the topic:
1. Releasing Storm requires huge bootstrapping, and normally takes several
months to release bugfix version. Note that it is not minor version...
Minor version is released per near a year. Connectors are maintained with
same release cadence, which makes connectors also long period to release,
whether it is (implicitly) beta or not.
2. Most of the change for connectors are not related to Storm core. It
tends to be compatible with all release versions with same major version.
3. (IMHO) We have too many connectors which we even can't maintain
actively. For example, ES connector couldn't support ES higher than 1.x.
4. Connectors are having same release version for Storm core, hence newly
added connector will have at least 1.x version which no one would think it
is beta.

Downside:
1. Detached connectors can be easy to be forgotten. (easier than current)
2. Connectors may have hard time if we bring backward incompatible change
to Storm core. We may remedy this with having supported version range for
specific connector version.

Please put your opinion regarding topic. You're encouraged to copy your
thread.

Thanks,
Jungtaek Lim (HeartSaVioR)