hey Jungtaek,

Thanks for continuing to pursue this!

The issue for Storm not working on Mesos is due to a fundamental change to
the core scheduling logic in Storm:

   -

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STORM-2126?focusedCommentId=16136150&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-16136150

The yet-to-be-ironed-out solution that Bobby was brainstorming about isn't
a short term fix as far as I understand it.  I believe it to be many many
months (years?) out for it to actually be workable.  Per my naive
understanding of the proposal, we'd probably have to completely rewrite the
Storm-on-Mesos framework.  So it's probably the right long-term solution,
but it isn't anything that should impact this discussion.

> The thing is, even users pick storm-kafka-client 1.1.x/1.2.0 and include
it into their topology jar, it will also not work with Storm 1.0.x. It
even can't
compile.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure that I was able to successfully run
storm-kafka-client-1.1.x on a 1.0.5 storm cluster, but only after shading
in storm-core-1.1.x to the topology uber jar.   There was *at least* a
change to some timer-related class in storm-core in 1.1.x (something about
milliseconds IIRC -- it's been 1.5 months since I did it, need to revisit
the process I followed).

I'm happy to help with backporting / stomping storm-kafka-client in 1.0.x.
Maybe we can talk offline about it?

- Erik