Github user revans2 commented on the issue:

    @srdo your suggestion to mark the dependencies as optional in the shaded
pom was a great one.  I have it working now where shaded-deps is built by
default, maven does not include any of the unwanted dependencies on the
classpath while building or testing, and when setting up and IDE there is a
profile that can be used to disable shaded-deps so the IDE is happy.  What is
more IntelliJ has that off by default so if you just import storm it will do
the right thing out of the box.

    I also updated the travis scripts to explicitly build/install shaded-deps
first and then run the rest of the build with shaded-deps off, so it we know
nothing is sneaking in there on accident.