---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Melan Nimesh <me...@apache.org>
Date: Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: networking features support for vcloud
To: "Vinod Kamble (vinokamb)" <vinok...@cisco.com>
Cc: "d...@stratos.apache.org" <d...@stratos.apache.org>

Hi Vinod,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Vinod Kamble (vinokamb) <vinok...@cisco.com
> wrote:

>  Hi,
> In spinning VM on vcloud by stratos needs to satisfy following
> requirements for our use case:
> 1. VM can be associated with multiple org networks
> 2. We need to specify the NIC and its association with the org network
> 3. We need to specify the “fixed” ip address for each interface
> 4. We need to specify the MAC address for each NIC
>
>  We are performing the above steps in launching VM instance on vcloud
> through python scripts, which does following steps to meet the above needs:
> (This is not through stratos)
> 1. Vapp is launched in power of state from the corresponding vapptemplate
> 2. In the powered of state using rest apis we modify the network
> connection details of the vapp template by specifying  the above information
> 3. Then the vapp is powered on.
>
>  On code investigation of stratos it looks like if we have to follow the
> steps as we are doing in python scripts, then there are similar changes
> required in jclouds. As the current api of jclouds starts vapp in power on
> state and then there is no scope to perform above modification.
>
>  Is this understanding correct?

AFAIK, jclouds API supports some of your above requirements such as lunch a
Vapp in power off state and bring it power on after applying some
settings, even we can apply setting using VCloudTemplateOptions in template
building phase. I am not sure whether we can associate with multiple org
networks using that API

In currently implementation of Stratos
org.apache.stratos.cloud.controller.iaases.Iaas class responsible for power
on a VM out of a template, what about if we refactor to delegate that task
to IaaS provider class?

Thanks,
Melan

--