+1 for direct database approach.

Few points:
- Registry store resource content as blobs even though the content format
is text.
- Therefore as Udara has pointed out we will need to write a registry
client to do the migrations if we go with the registry.
- If we use a set of databases (SM, AS, CC), we will be able to provide
database scripts for migrations.
- Which I think the most convenient way to migrate data.
- However with this approach we will need to use transactions when writing
to the database to make sure it works fine in a distributed environment (if
SM, AS, CC are clustered).

WDYT?