Apache Stratos developers,

Is there a way to adjust the timeout value for a cartridge to become active in
apache stratos 4.0.0?

I've observed that Stratos Manager managing Openstack based VMs, will restart the VM 15 minutes after launching it, if it does not hear from the cartridge agent.

For our cartridges, we are starting with a blank VM (ie ubuntu/redhat cloud image), package installation is happening as a part of the startup process, and cartridge agent start is delayed until after package/patch installation/configuration completes.

I am noticing that as the number of packages/patches to be applied increases and when the system gets busy I am getting very close to the timeout, sometimes exceeding it.

Is there a better approach for this? Ideally, a tunable timeout per subscription seems like the best approach. We experimented with driving the package installation off the instance-started.sh extension but this never worked well as we had some cases were we needed to reboot the server after package installation, and stratos doesn't handle well the case were the cartridge agent goes silent for a few minutes as the VM is rebooting.

Another approach considered was to pre-bake some of the functionality into the base cartridges to shorten the "installation" time, but this complicates the management of the VM so we would like to avoid this.

-Vanson