OAuth token based REST API was one of the ideas we had, and I could locate
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STRATOS-91 which is related to that.
(You as a user call a 'login' API and obtain an OAuth token to call
subsequent API calls.)

May be Pradeep can shed some light as to the status of that implementation.

--
Best Regards,
Nirmal

Nirmal Fernando.