Hi Akila,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 12:49 PM, Akila Ravihansa Perera <raviha...@wso2.com
> wrote:

> Hi Raj,
>
> We can use the same CEP stream to publish cartridge agent health stats. We
> can identify the instance type (container or VM type) by retrieving member
> properties from the topology. But I don't think we should be doing that.
>
> IMO, we should not publish cartridge agent health stats from each and
> every container. It's better if we can have a global agent per Kubernetes
> host instance to monitor the health of every container and also in host
> instance itself. We can use a container monitoring agent like cAdvisor to
> collect container health stats.

This is a good model. We will anyway have an agent in docker host as it is
a multi-tenant cartridge instance. Then we can improve same agent to
take-care of it's docker instances. We might need to let it know that it is
running in a docker host.

Do you suggest we completely get rid of agent inside dockers?

Thanks.

> +1 for having a separate CEP execution plan for handling Docker containers
> scenario.
>
> As for the ContainerClusterMonitor, we should clearly outline the
> responsibilities of container monitor and VM monitor. Because since we are
> using Kubernetes for managing the life-cycle of containers, most of the
> tasks are already taken care of. For eg - we don't need to start a new
> container if an existing containers fails since Kubernetes will handle that
> failure.

My concern of letting Kubernetes control minimum values is, it is difficult
to get the new member identified in Stratos side. Shall we take that
control to Autoscaler as we do for VM clusters?

Thanks.

> WDYT?

Lahiru Sandaruwan
Committer and PMC member, Apache Stratos,
Senior Software Engineer,
WSO2 Inc., http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

email: lahi...@wso2.com cell: (+94) 773 325 954