Hi Imesh,

>From a brief research I did, I could find only few libraries for Python
which doesn't make use of the Git binary file. The more mature one is
called Dulwich[1]. There is also another library called pygit2[2] which is
a C Bindings module for libgit2[3].

Unfortunately we can't use Dulwich in our code since it is licensed GPLv2,
which is incompatible with Apache[4].

However pygit2 is licensed GPLv2 with "linking exception", which allows the
use of the compiled file without any restrictions of the GPL.

Therefore, as of now, there is the serious issue of not having any pure
Python implementation of Git under Apache license to be used in the Python
cartridge agent. There is also the option of writing a similar library
anew, which would be time consuming.

[1] - https://www.samba.org/~jelmer/dulwich/
[2] - http://www.pygit2.org/index.html
[3] - https://libgit2.github.com/