Good to know there are others interested in this effort.

As Craig noted, there are public repositories on github supporting schema.org
development, but none that I found are both a) JVM and b) easily inter-operable
with the rest of the Streams codebase.

To get us rolling, I created an improvement page on the wiki on which I invite
your comments.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STREAMS/Schema.org+support

Craig, I’ve given you edit permissions on the Streams wiki.

Aaron, i didn’t see your cwiki account - LMK once you’ve created a handle and
I’ll add you as well.

Or reply with comment in-line.  The current text of that page is included below.

Thanks!
Steve

——

Pages Streams Home Improvement Initiatives
Skip to end of banner
Go to start of banner

Schema.org support
Skip to end of metadata
Created by Steve Blackmon 27 minutes ago
Go to start of metadata
Summary
This is a multi-stage proposal for supporting schema.org documents in Streams.
Activity Streams 2.0 explicitly supports schema.org types as first class
citizens.  While Apache Streams supports only Activity Streams 1.0 as of this
writing, using schema.org will be an incentive to adopt AS 2.0 and preparation
for that support can begin prior to full AS 2.0 support.
Objectives
A developer building with streams should be able to:
Instantiate and then modify POJOs for core schema.org [1]
Assign them to the actor, provider, object, and target fields of an activity
Expect proper serialization and deserialization of application/json type
documents
Implement a conversion between an activity streams object and a schema.org
object
Proposal
Phase 1: model core schema.org objects using json-schema in a new project
module.  generate and publish POJOs in maven artifacts
Phase 2: implement unit tests that demonstrate proper serialization and
deserialization of json-formatted schema.org documents
Phase 3: provide a way to swap ActivityObject and Thing java classes in an
intelligent way, and for management of activities with any class that extends
Thing assignable to any field that currently requires an ActivityObject
Phase 4: support serialization to and from JSON-LD
Phase X: implement the extended vocabularies as well
Considerations
streams-plugin-pojo does not currently support the jsonschema oneOf or anyOf
syntax introduced with jsonschema v4. some schema.org fields can one one of
several possible types.  we'll have to figure out a way to deal with this
challenge at each phase
DateTimes - schema.org specifies datetimes using ISO 8601 whereas activity
streams uses RFC3339.
Other libraries - we should be able to demonstrate compatibility with google's
schemaorg-java library.  This will probably require adding optional GSON
support to streams-pojo and streams-plugin-pojo.