From: Amiya Moharana [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 1:30 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: RE: validation.xml

Hi Zakaria,

  Generally validator is called before the form is submitted to any
ActionClasses. Just check the sequence of events when we submitt our
form. The order is like this when we submit the form:

1: It goes and checks for any instances of the bean in the current
specified scope( the name of the class, type, and scope is got from the
struts-config.xml).
2: If found then call the reset method on it.
4: If not found than a new instanc is created and stored in the proper
scope.
5: Then the formBean is populated.
6: If the validate is true than the validate() method is get
called(autometically called, no need to call it explicitly.)
7: Than it checks for the action to which the form is to be submitted.

Common validation like: checking an integer, Date, floating point
number, not null are done with the help of validation.xml file. If you
need more specific validation you can put it in the validate() method.
If some more business logic related validations (like loggin, pw checks)
are needed than put these type of validation in the action classes.
Whenever there is some validation fails create a ActionError and add it
ActionErrors objects, and save it to request so that it can be shown to
the user.

 When you are putting the logic in the validate method there is no need
to call it explicitly as you have done "form.validate(mapping,
request);". It is autometically get called on the form instance, as
mentioned in the sequence.

With Warm Regards.
Amiya.