see

http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/release-notes.html

--> Whats new
"Although not removed, in many cases you should replace the deprecated
ActionErrors with the preferred ActionMessages to ensure correct
operation."

reason is ActionErroR is deprecated...

ActionErrorS can't

--> validate() returns that guy. so with ActionMessages in validate()
    there is no backward-compatibility

regards,