On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:29:15 -0700, Craig McClanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is a personal opinion only, subject to the views of the other
> committers, but I've gone from +0 to -0 on switching to Maven.

I am also -0 at this point.

> The
> one really important value add that I see, downloading dependencies
> automatically, can be crafted into an Ant script quite easily

Indeed. I intend to add this to the Struts build soon.

> -- see,
> for example, the build.xml file you get from running "maven ant" --
> and customizing Maven build processes reminds me too much of the
> things I don't like about aspect oriented programming ... I can't look
> at the code and just see what's going to happen :-).

This also one of my biggest gripes - not knowing where to look when
something goes wrong (which seems all to often for me).

> That being said, we still have some work to do to make our build
> process both simpler and separable (for multiple sub-projects).  But
> I'd prefer to do it based on Ant scripts that are independently
> managed for each sub-project.

+1

Also, the 'import' and 'macro' tasks introduced in recent versions of
Ant should help with this.

> I won't stand in the way of a migration to Maven if the other
> developers want to build and maintain the system ... but I'm
> personally going to generate build.xml files for the subprojects for
> my own personal use, and I'm gonna be unhappy if that doesn't work
> because of dramatically customized Maven builds.

Ditto.

--
Martin Cooper