The hackathon is typically a conference room at the hotel where
ApacheCon will be held, and offers an opportunity for committers on
the various Apache projects to get together and hack on code face to
face, or otherwise get to know each other better.  Historically it's
been held on the Saturday and Sunday before the conference (which
starts on a Monday).

Craig