Thanks for changing the subject line so I noticed this thread again.

I am very much against keeping IDE specific files in the repository.  Even
if you're using the same IDE, no two developer's environment will be the
same so paths will be wrong, etc.  This will be painful because checking
out the code will corrupt my Eclipse .project and .classpath files.

We will end up with many IDE files in the repository none of which work
for anyone except the last person who committed them.

David