The new build system will consist of a few shared build files, and a
per-subproject build.xml file. This leads to the obvious question of
where the shared build files should live. There are basically two
options, as I see it:

1) In a 'build' subproject. This is the cleaner option, and the one I
prefer. It does mean that an additional subproject has be to checked
out, but that would be true for all but one subproject in any case,
and an independent 'build' subproject is pretty much guaranteed to be
a lot smaller than any other subproject.

2) In 'core'. The only advantage I see to putting the build system in
'core' is that a single checkout would be enough to build 'core'
itself. However, to build any other subproject, 'core' would need to
be checked out as well. The main disadvantage I see to this option is
that if another subproject comes along that we need to build before
'core', it would be icky to have that subproject depend on 'core' when
'core' depends on it. (This might sound like an unlikely scenario, but
I actually believe that's exactly what would happen if we bring
StrutsTestCase into the fold, since we'd need to build that before
'core' could be built and tested.)

So what do people think? My preference, as I said, is (1).

--
Martin Cooper