> I would classify Gmail as "moderately dynamic", but it's heading in
> the right direction. I'm talking about things like handling wizard
> page changes entirely on the client, up until Apply or OK is clicked;
> drag and drop in the browser; master/detail handling within the
> browser; real-time updates (i.e. not polling). Stuff like that. One of
> the characteristics is minimising, if not eliminating, the number of
> full-page refreshes, which makes page-oriented technologies like JSF a
> whole lot less relevant.

GMail is pretty much a standard web application (even if its a
relatively simple one from an interface standpoint.)  Do you really
think these kinds of web applications are likely to be obsolete
anytime soon?

I'd admit it would be nice, but my feeling is that we are going to be
stuck with full page refreshes (or IFrame refreshes) for a long time.
This is the fundamental nature of web pages and the HTTP protocol.
Yes it sucks but I don't see anything on the horizon that is likely to
change this.

I've written a lot of cool WebStart applications using JMS on the back
end.  They work great but we had the luxury of installing WebStart on
the all of the customer's computers.  I think of the browser as a
crappier version of WebStart.  Its just a vehicle for running your
application.  The key is that its a world-wide standard.  Changing
this will take time.  If and when this changes, its likely to be
influenced heavily by Microsoft.  I wouldn't count on it supporting
Java ;-)

Probably a little bit off topic, but I wanted to respond to your
theory.  If your theory is correct, then yes, JSF is a dead-end.  I
don't agree with that theory, but I'm not sure that JSF will be the
next step either.  That will depend on how fast developers evaluate
and then adopt the technology.  And that will depend on how fast JSF
evolves to address various issues (see an earlier post of mine about
current JSF limitations.)

> Martin Cooper

sean