At 11:24 AM -0600 3/18/05, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dakota Jack wrote:

I am not sure exactly what the question is. I would like a
framework solution that provides the data via ActionForms. How people handle that data would be as undefined as it is at
the moment. The *only* difference would be that the
framework would provide data from and to more than one ActionForm.

The question was for Joe. You are asking for a particular implementation and Joe was suggesting a way to support that implementation. Joe also hinted that he would use a different implementation to solve the business problem. My question was "What is Joe's preferred implementation?"

I prefer to divide "controller" logic into "request-controller" and "response-controller." I've developed local solutions which hook view-controller logic to forwards (in our case, keyed to the tiles definition name which is in ActionForward.getPath()).

This allows you to make sure that your setup logic gets called whether someone goes to a page directly or whether they get bounced there because of a form validation failure. On the user list earlier today, Rick R. indicated that he doesn't use the framework to do validation because he wants to make sure that his setup behavior gets called. I think we can eliminate that reason for not using the framework to do validation. At least, I've done it in my own apps in a way that I like, and I think that in Struts 1.3 with per ForwardConfig chains, one could move all setup logic into chain Commands and be sure that it was executed before dispatch to the view JSP/Velocity template/what-have-you.

I think i posted a more detailed example earlier this week, including a rough pseudo-code FormPopulationCommand, but I can't seem to find it in the archives...

Joe

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "Narrow minds are weapons made for mass destruction" -The Ex